In case you missed the ground moving or the fireworks lighting up the sky…on Saturday I turned 50. Yes I Judy Davis, The Direction Diva am 50 years old, half a century the big 5-OHHH! Some people would be sad, others would find the need to reduce stress in their life but I did all those things when I turned 35…no 50 – this birthday I am excited about.
Not because of my wrinkles or laugh lines, not because of my gravity-challenged body parts and DEFINITELY not because I creek and pop a little more than I used to. However the biggest benefit is that life is easier and…
You Reduce Stress When You Turn 50 Because:
1. You have skills that keep you from doing stupid stuff all over again.
2. You I can say I’m sorry and mean it.
3. You are able to admit to short-comings with complete unapologetic acceptance.
4. You know how to change what You can and let go of the rest.
5. You don’t have to know everything.
6. You are not afraid to ask for help.
7. You have loved, lost , battled back and rose up only to realize that you really can handle whatever life throws at you.
8. You’ve come to realize that one can be selfish and selfless all at the same time.
9. You really are stronger that you ever knew you could be.
10. You’re no longer afraid to take a risk or try something new.
11. You are free from worrying about what others think about you.
12. You know that true love and a happy marriage take lots of work. (And trust me it’s worth every tear, frustration and difficult moment)
13. You realize that the little things REALLY do matter.
14. You learned that making someone smile is the best remedy for a tough day.
15. You “get” that every moment of every day can be an opportunity if You let it.
16. You realize that you can choose the path you take rather than letting someone else choose it.
17. You understand that putting yourself first is critical to your health and well-being.
18. You know that close family and friends make the hard times a little easier.
19. You don’t care if everyone likes you because you like yourself.
20. You’re blessed because you have people in your life that love you unconditionally.
Turning 50 feels like a right of passage. A passage you can do even if you aren’t 50 yet!!
A permission to be myself; faults and all. No more worry about what people will think, just transparency and an understanding that I can move onto this next phase of life without the insecurities and inhibitions that used to hold me back. 50 brings with it a confidence that I’m more than enough; in fact I’m strong enough, capable enough and yes sassy enough to utilize the wisdom and lessons I’ve come to know.
And that’s why turning 50 ROCKS!
~Judy Davis, the Direction Diva is a motivational speaker, author and lifestyle blogger as well as a military life and teen suicide prevention expert. Co-founder of DASIUM, Judy’s books Right Side Up and Warning Signs: Is Your Teen at Riskare go to resources for families and her websites are filled with tips, inspiration and resources for those looking for direction. Connect with Judy at TheDirectionDiva.com